Looking for something in particular?

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Deadly Notes

If you follow me on twitter (which you should - @kyoung246), then you've (hopefully) heard about my short film, Deadly Notes. If you haven't, you will now!

Deadly Notes is a short film that I wrote several months ago about a young artist and small business owner named Tanya, an FBI agent, and the serial killer who leads everyone on a wild, terrifying roller coaster of mind games and manipulation.

I want to produce it independently this summer through my production company, KAYfilms. I plan to make it the best I possibly can on what is really a very low budget of $4,000. However, I don't currently have $4,000. So, when I discovered Kickstarter, I knew it would be the best way to raise the money I need.

How does Kickstarter work? Basically, anyone can set up a project, although Kickstarter has to approve it within their guidelines. You set up your project, including the rewards that you want to offer at each level of contribution ($1, $5, $10, and so on). Then, people who think your project and your rewards are cool and have a few dollars to spare contribute!

Theoretically. Unfortunately, I've had a bit more trouble than most in getting contributions for my project. Kickstarter is all-or-nothing, so if you don't reach your goal in time, no one's credit cards get charged and you don't get any of the money. So I'll either have a $4,000 budget or none at all.

That's where you come in. I only have 18 days to go, and I've only gotten $5 in contributions. The problem is that people see my tweets asking them to help and think "Oh, it's okay. Someone else will contribute, she doesn't need me". At this point, that's simply not true. If every single one of my Twitter followers gave $5, that would get us $560, which is only 14% of the goal. So not only do I need contributions from anyone and everyone, but I need the power of social networking to spread the word and get even more people involved! If you're reading this, I need you. Yes, you. I need help from every single person who reads this post, or the film won't happen.

If you really don't have the money to spare, I understand. Do your part by spreading the word to people who can contribute. If you, for whatever reason, don't want to contribute through Kickstarter, consider buying one of my ebooks. Proceeds from those will support the film. Even if Kickstarter funding fails, I can use those proceeds to make something of the project, even if it's not what I wanted it to be.

By supporting this film, you're also supporting the Austin independent film community. This film will provide local actors with experience that they can put on their résumé, clips for their demo reels, as well as recognition that can help them land roles in bigger and better films. Same goes for the crew, the light, sound, and camera guys (and gals) who also want to work on bigger and better projects. They can include this film on their résumés, making it possible for them to keep climbing the ladder and eventually reach their goals.

I need your help. Click here for more information about the project, and here if you're ready to contribute. Help me make this dream come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment